Historie

1952

Teaching assigment for Dr. Oppelt „Control Problems in Electrical Engineering“ starting at summer term 1952

1954

First chair in the Federal Republic of Germany for „Open and Closed Loop Control“ is decided to be established

1957

Prof. Dr.-Ing. Winfried Oppelt appointed for professor (08.06.1957), chair for control systems is established in the faculty of electrical engineering and accomodated in the Institute for Electrical Machines and in an additional building near the university main building, first scientific coworkers: K. Barth, R. Bräu, M. Thoma

Research Areas:

  • Theoretical Fundamentals of Control Systems
  • Control of Vehicles and Airplanes
  • Human Acting as Controller

1959

Branch of Study „Control System and Technical Electronics“ is established and relocated to the building Landgraf-Georg Straße 4

1973

Establishment of two independant departments, „Control Systems” (Oppelt) und „Control Systems Theory“ (Tolle)
Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Dipl.-Ing. Henning Tolle (01.07.1973) appointed for professor

Research Areas:

  • Artificial Intelligence
  • Autonomous Systems
  • Darmstadt Robotic Hand (Darmstädter Roboterhand)

1977

Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dr. E.h. W. Oppelt conferred emeritus
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Rolf Isermann, (29.09.1977), appointed for professor, department „Control Systems Technology”

1982

25th anniversary of the insitute (18.06.1982), in conjunction with the Awarding of the Aachener und Münchner Prize of the Dr. Carl Arthur-Pastor foundation to Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dr. E.h. W. Oppelt (100 participants)

1988

DFG special research branch „IMES“ is established, room enlargement of the institute with rented rooms at the Bleichstraße 10 -12

1998

Prof. Dr. rer. nat Dipl.-Ing. H. Tolle conferred emeritus
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Jürgen Adamy (01.10.1998) appointed for professor

1998

Institute renamed to „Institute for Automatic Control“ (02.07.1998) with departments „Control Systems and Process Automation“ (rtp) and „Control Theory and Robotics“ (rtr)

1999

40th anniversary of the IAT (16.10.1999)

2000

Additional rooms in the Petersenstraße 20 (680 m²) purchased, branch of study „Automation Systems“ is redesigned, new branch of study „Mechatronics“ is established

2005

Prof. Dr.-Ing. U. Konigorski (01.12.2004) appointed for professor
Department „Control Systems and Mechatronics“ (rtm) is established (01.08.2005)

2006

Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dr. h.c. Rolf Isermann (Research Group Control Systems and Process Automation, rtp) conferred emeritus